A highlight of 2018 was being asked to film the wedding of a couple that I look up to in almost every way. Thank you both for allowing me to be a part of such a beautiful day.
Here it is! Let’s #payitforward
Announcing: Give-A-Day 2019
For me Give-A-Day is about living life with intention, purpose, and working to make a difference in and for the lives of others. This year I am partnering with Amanda Marie Studio, which I am super excited about! We have worked together on numerous occasions, and she’s someone I really look up to. I’m constantly inspired by her kindness and generosity that’s behind her beautiful work. Not to brag for her… but she was recently nominated as 1 of the top 100 photographers in the United States. Soo… YAY!!
Our concept is simple. We give a day as a videographer and photographer to you and your partner. You, as a couple, give a day to a pre-approved non-profit organization. Boom! My hope has always been that the impact of Give-A-Day will ripple outwards. Each of us donates a day of our time to you and your story, so we’re asking the winning couple to do the same. We give. You give. Hearts get bigger. It’s a win-win-win.
Here’s how to submit your wedding story to Give-A-Day (it’s easy, we promise):
Share one of our “Give-A-Day” posts on Instagram or Facebook and please write up a little something about how we are having a giveaway and why you are hoping to win! Please make sure we are both tagged so we can see it.
Submit an inquiry via one of our websites Sky Focus Films or Amanda Marie Studio letting us know when and where you’re getting married, which organization you’ll be donating your time to and why, and fill us in on your story. We take great care in reviewing the stories that come our way, so those who take time to submit creative (include images!), thoughtful entries are definitely a bonus! You are also free to submit your entry via email email@example.com.
Be prepared to act! If chosen, you and your partner must be willing to dedicate a full day of volunteering each to the charity of your choice (ex. 8 hours a day together/16 hours total). We will need a copy of the completion document from your charity prior to your wedding day.
You don’t need to be in Minneapolis or even Minnesota to enter! We accept entries from anywhere. A non-local winner will be responsible for travel costs for Amanda and I.
If you already have a photographer or cinematographer booked for your day, you can still enter! Just let us know if you are submitting for only videography or photography.
The deadline for submissions is no later than 5PM Central Time, Monday October 15th, 2018. The winner will be announced on Friday, October 19th, 2018.
Every year I feel so honored and humbled by the moving stories shared with us. Thank you in advance to those of you who will enter!
- Chris Martin
- Owner - Sky Focus Films
What can you say when a day just turns out so perfectly?! Not alot!
Congratulations to the beautiful couple!!! It was truly a pleasure to be a small part of your incredible day!
Special Thanks to all the wonderful vendors!
Venue: Maywood Stone Barn in Rochester, MN
Catering: Powers Ventures
Coffee Cart: Mpls Coffee Cart
Planner: Cassie West
Photographer: Meg Cooper
Floral: Fox & Fern Floral
DJ: Rock with U
Hair & Makeup: Primped
Dresses: Monique Lhuillier and Nicole Miller reception dress (both from M.Elizabeth Bridal)
Tuxedos: BLACK by Vera Wang
Bride's robe: Kim+ono
Wine & Bubbly Bar: Tessa's Office Wine Boutique
Cake: Daube's carrot cake and Canadian Honker coconut cake
What’s more perfect than a beautiful day, a gorgeous couple, a theme park! (YES!!), boat ride and dancing in the sunset?!! Nothing. Nothing at all. Congrats to this amazing couple! What a day and what a ride! Thank you both and I wish you both the best!!
PS: Congrats on the new baby on the way!!
Photography : Studio KH
So after many years of holding onto my old site, I have finally decided to step up and make my site a bit more accessible for those even more tech savvy than myself. (Not hard!) So if you notice a lack of posts, it's because I lack the ability to import all of my old posts into this one. Point made! I have so many more new announcements to make and exciting news to share! For now, just know more is coming! Even a tiny new member of the Sky Focus Team is primed to make her appearance any day now. Paternal mic drop! Be back soon!
On giving back, paying it forward, and a kickass help-some-humans-out giveaway.
Announcing: Give-A-Day 2018
Two years ago, I launched Give-A-Day. I wanted to take a more active approach to living life with intention, purpose, and in making a difference in and for the lives of others. Last year I asked Athena Pelton if she could join me (every wedding needs a photographer, too, right?!), She is one of the most giving, unselfish, and most talented people I know. She comes with a big heart and a lot of love for people from all walks of life. It’s no surprise I was elated and ecstatic when she agreed to partnering up on this project.I’m honored and humbled by the honest, heartfelt, courageous and inspiring stories that were sent to us last year, and as such am So. Damn. EXCITED that Give-A-Day is back!
Athena and I have joined forces yet again (can I get a HELL YEAH!) to give away a wedding film and photography package. We will meet with you, talk about your day, help with your schedule, shoot the day-of events, edit the images and film into a beautiful, artistic story, and deliver it to you at no charge. Our goal is to have it grow organically and make a bigger impact by showing others what it feels like to give and also showing a different side of the wedding industry.
Of course, there’s a catch to all this (but don’t worry it’s a good one!);
Each of us is donating a day of our time to you and your story, so we are asking that in return the winning couple (you!!!) do the same. We give. You give. Hearts get bigger. It’s a win-win-win.
Here are all the juicy details and all the info you need on how to submit your wedding story to Give-A-Day (it’s easy, we promise):
- If you’re not already, make sure you are following both of us on Instagram. Sky Focus + Athena Pelton
- Look through our websites and post a favorite photo of Athena’s, as well as a favorite film of Christopher’s (you’ll need a 3rd party app, like Repost, to post videos to IG) captioning the photo with our name (via @mention), why you love the image/film and the hashtag #giveaday2018. (Please also tag us in the photo/video to make sure we see your entry. If your IG settings are private we will not be able to see your posts, but you can DM a screen grab of them to either of our IG accounts. If you only post a video or a photo your entry will not be valid.)
- Submit an inquiry via either of our websites Sky Focus Films or Athena Pelton letting us know when and where you’re getting married, which organization you’ll be donating your time to and why, and fill us in on your story. The more detailed and heartfelt and honest and candid (and all the other buzzwords) your story is, the better, as this year we’ll be selecting the winners based on the submitted story. (And be prepared to act! If chosen you must be willing to dedicate a full day of volunteering to the charity of your choice for a full day as a couple! (ex. 8 hours a day together/16 hours total). We will be asking for a copy of the completion document from your charity prior to your wedding day.
New This Year: (We are so excited about this!!):
- You need not be local to Minneapolis to enter! We are (finally!) accepting entries from anywhere, and for a non-local winner will only require the winning couple cover travel costs.
- Do you already have a photographer or cinematographer booked for your day? Fret not! You can still enter! Just let us know if you are submitting for only photography or cinematography and are not in need of both of us.
And finally (Phew!):
The deadline for submissions is no later than 5PM Central Time, Monday February 19th. The winner will be announced on Friday, February 23rd.